This continues RSVP’s regular Sunday column of outstanding volunteer opportunities. There are some really terrific positions open that should fit your talents. For more details or to sign up for any of these opportunities, please call Carol at 775-687-4680, ext. 6. Please don’t call the agency directly as they cannot process your application to volunteer.
• Carson City Convention and Visitors Bureau needs weekend volunteers for its Visitor Center and Gift Store. This is an opportunity since volunteers will greet visitors from all over the world. Must have excellent customer service skills and enthusiasm about everything Carson City. Ability to operate a cash register, answer phones, and handle other clerical duties is also desirable. Orientation and training will be provided.
• Lack of transportation is a big problem for frail low income seniors trying to get to medical appointments because there is a lack of RSVP drivers. These special seniors can’t afford a cab and rely solely on RSVP. Call for details on driving as the program is very flexible and RSVP has its own vans. Drivers using personal vehicles are reimbursed mileage.
• The Carson City Fire Department who keeps us safe is in need of a volunteer for its receptionist position. Clerical experience is desired. Remember, these are the folks who protect us from fire
• RSVP needs volunteers to serve as companions to seniors who are home alone during the day. These folks need a friend who will call on them from time to time and visit; maybe help with some small tasks or in some instances have lunch, play games.
• Caring for a loved one 24/7 can be very exhausting both physically and mentally. RSVP needs volunteers to give caregivers some time off. Training is provided and you will receive a small stipend and mileage reimbursement. This is a great gift to a harried caregiver. Call for details.
• Mothers Against Drunk Driving is seeking volunteers to fill several of its volunteer positions: Court Monitoring, Victim Impact Panel Speaker, and Victim Advocate. Nevada MADD volunteer orientation and online training will be provided. Computer access and experience required.
• Silver State Charter School is seeking math tutors to work with kids who need some extra help in pre-algebra, algebra and simple geometry. Must have patience and basic skills in high school level algebra and simple geometry.
• Are you an animal lover? Carson City Animal Shelter needs volunteers to walk dogs and socialize with cats. These little creatures are so in need of some loving attention.
• Computer Corps needs Technical, Administrative and Facilities volunteers to help with its “Every Home ‘A’ Classroom” Program that is administered through the individual schools by which families of school aged children who can’t afford a computer system can qualify for a free one. Volunteers receive mileage reimbursement, snacks and lunch.
• Western Nevada College needs ushers and people who sew to assist with the costumes for Western Nevada Musical Theatre Company’s productions. Volunteers will receive free refreshments, a show souvenir, and are allowed to watch performances free of charge.
• Like to see great shows for free? The Carson City Parks and Recreation Department is training ushers for its Community Center Theater productions. They need light and sound technicians. This is exciting work and you get to see all the great shows in the theater. Also looking for volunteers for daytime building monitors, custodians, and maintenance.
• Carson City Literacy is in need of volunteers to teach people of all ages to read. One-year commitment with two hours per week required. Training will be provided.
All volunteers receive orientation and training. Also, volunteers can receive a limited amount of out-of-pocket expenses and are covered by several insurances. If you are a not for profit agency and would like us to feature your need for volunteers, call Carol at 775-687-4680, ext. 6.