The Churchill County Library received a gift donation of $10,000 from the Artemisia Club of Fallon. Making the presentation to Director Carol Lloyd and Library Board of Trustee members Ann Rapp and Kim Farnham, was Florence Sloan, Artemisia Secretary and Club member for over 40 years and Mary Louise Erb whose mother Lois Glenn was a longtime Artemisia Club member. Also present from the Artemisia Club were Patsy Weaver, President, Alyce Hughes,Vice-President and Myrt Reichard, Auditor.
The Artemisia Club is one of Churchill County’s oldest women’s clubs, established in 1909, to provide support for early Newlands Project families. For many years it maintained a well-furnished house at 240 W. Center St., where rural wives and children could wait in comfort while shopping, repairs, and other farm business was complete.
For more than 100 years the Club was active in the community, conducting fund raising events to support schools, local projects, county fairs, 4-H and other social and cultural interest and a scholarship program.
Proceeds of the sale of the drop-in house in 1972 were invested and the accrued interest has financed an annual scholarship program. Dozens of Churchill County High School graduates have received assistance in furthering their education.
Club membership, fund raising activities and interest rates have all declined in recent years, making it necessary to disperse of the Club’s financial assets as designated by the founding members to benefit the citizens of Churchill County.