Carson City jewelry pawner to spend new year in prison



  • Discuss Comment, Blog about
  • Print Friendly and PDF

MINDEN — A Carson City man was sent to prison after his second attempt at diversion was anything but perfect.

Joshua Hurin, 19, was ordered to complete Mental Health Court out of Carson City in August after he was returned from the Regimental Boot Camp for eligibility issues.

Since August, Hurin has tested positive on multiple occasions for marijuana and opiates he told his probation officer were from prescribed medications.

Hurin has been in and out of custody several times because of Mental Health Court violations.

According to his probation officer and violation reports, Hurin hasn’t been honest about his drug use while on probation, going as far as creating a fake stay in the hospital to try to explain a positive drug test.

Hurin turned himself in New Year’s Eve after admitting to taking more than 20 pieces of his grandmother’s jewelry and pawning it over a six-month period.

He had his 12-36 month sentence for grand larceny suspended so he could try completing a diversion program.

However, because of his failure to comply with the rules and regulations of Mental Health Court and his probation officer, Hurin had his diversion revoked.

Hurin has paid at least $500 toward the $2,397 in restitution he was originally ordered to pay when he was first granted diversion in June 2014.

He was reminded to continue payments toward the $982 to Northern Nevada Coin, $15 to Super Pawn and $1,400 to his grandmother.

Hurin was given credit for 88 days of time served.

Carson man given another chance

A Carson City man was given another chance to get sober instead of going to prison.

Tyler Lawson, 26, admitted to having .2 grams of heroin on him when deputies approached him outside of a Gardnerville restaurant.

Lawson and another person were confronted by deputies for suspected drug activity.

When deputies asked to search Lawson and his backpack he was reluctant, but allowed it. The search revealed enough paraphernalia to warrant misdemeanor charges.

In exchange for his felony plea, those charges will be dismissed.

As an additional term of his diversion for possession of a controlled substance, Lawson also agreed to remain in jail until he can be seen by the drug court judge on Jan. 11.

Lawson was arrested Sept. 2, but was later released.

He then failed to appear for his arraignment in October, prompting District Judge Tom Gregory to remind Lawson of his responsibilities.

“I need you to prove to me that you can abide by the rules placed on you,” he said.

Lawson participated in the drug court program two years ago, never completing it.

If Lawson completes three years of diversion, he can withdrawal his guilty plea to the felony.

He faces a 12-48 month sentence if he fails the program.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment