Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Day to be held in Carson City

The third annual Carson City Kiwanis Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Day is like Carson City’s mini Olympics, said founder Robey Willis. “There’s so much going on with the golf tournament, the run and the weight-lifting competition,” he said. “I think that’s what makes it such a festive atmosphere. People are having so much fun.”

The Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Day will feature a 5K and 10K runs along with a children’s fun run; a bench press competition and golf tournament — all at Empire Ranch Golf Course on Sept. 17.

The four-person scramble golf tournament begins at 9 a.m. Cost is $75 per person. Registration forms can be picked up at Empire Ranch Golf Course Pro Shop or at

The tournament will be divided into six divisions by gender and age.

“It has sold out the last two years, so people should register as soon as possible,” Willis said.

Michael Hohl is donating a 2016 Buick Encore SUV as a prize of a hole in one.

The runs begin at 8 a.m. at the clubhouse. Cost is $30 for the 5K, $35 for the 10K and kids 12 and under are $10.

Register at CV Sports, 3790 Highway 395, Suite 402 or at Kaia FIT, 3633 Research Way. Register online at or

Packet pick-up will be 5-7:30 p.m. Sept. 16 at the Empire Ranch Clubhouse.

The bench press championships will begin 7 a.m. at the clubhouse patio. The entry fee is $10 for three lifts and will be accepted at the event.

Willis said 75 percent of the proceeds go to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. The remaining 25 percent is used for a local scholarship.

Last year, the event raised nearly $11,000.

For more information, email Robey Willis at or call Stevan Lyon at (775) 224-5798.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment