A dozen middle and high school students were awarded cash prizes for their entries into the annual Fleet Reserve Association essay contest.
The local Sierra-Tahoe FRA Branch supported this event and acknowledged the winners. This year’s theme was entitled “Why I’m Proud To Be An American.”
The winners of the contest were:
• 12th grade - First place: Joel Harvey, Douglas High School; Second place: Ryan Olsen, Douglas High School; and third place Jessica Turner, Yerington High School.
• 11th grade – First place: Jade Chapman, Sierra Lutheran High School.
• 10th grade – First place: Samantha Steyn, Sierra Lutheran High School.
• 8th grade – First place: Xavier Hoffman, Carson Valley Middle School; Second place: Payton Sporh, Carson Valley Middle School; and third place Riley Danon and Ava Gildea, Carson Valley Middle School.
• 7th grade – First place: Svea Nilsssen, Faith Christian Academy; Second place: Noah Smit, Faith Christian Academy; and third place: Amy Van Wagenen, Faith Christian Academy.
All schools are welcome to participate. The contest is open to students grades 7-12. Schools are notified of the contest’s theme with applications at the beginning of the school year with a deadline of Dec 1.
For information, contact John Trammel at 925-207-6889.