SAM'S BEST BETS
Once again we'll be updating the entertainment picture for Carson City and Lake Tahoe, plus Reno and who knows where else. Much is going on that we couldn't get into Thursday's paper, so here's some new entertainment opportunities. This report will appear Fridays at the Nevada Appeal Web site, nevadaappeal.com. Contact Sam Bauman, entertainment editor, with any questions at Sbauman@nevadaappeal.com or 881-1236.
- Greg London continues at Harrah's Reno with his one-man (and two ladies) show "Icons. He's a mimic, a musician, a quick-change artist and enjoyable. Call 788-2900 for reservations for the 8 p.m. show. Tickets are $31.95 and $36.95.
- That sensational show "FloorPlay" is still turning up the temperature with brilliant dancing and explosive drum work at the Eldorado Casino in Reno.. This is truly one of the best shows to hit Reno in years; the dancers are Olympic in quality. Call 786-5700 for tickets which go at $29.85 to $43.95. You can't go wrong with this spectacular.
- Up at the Lake, Horizons is hosting "Yesterday " a Tribute to the Beatles," a 8:30 p.m. Wednesday through Monday. A special "Sgt. Pepper" show is on Saturday night a 10:30. Call 588-6211 for the $26.95 tickets.
- Locally, at the Carson Nugget Rebekha Chase Band . plays on into the night, no cover (882-1626). Melissa Dru takes over Tuesday.
- Atomica plays at the Carson Station (883-0900. Stew Stewart moves in Tuesday,
- Fitzgerald's Hotel Casino opens its doors to the music lovers of all ages, including the under-21 crowd, for the Artown After Dark concert series every Friday night throughout the month of July. Each week, different bands grace the stage and rock the house for a tribute to Reno's local music scene as part of Artown's jam-packed events calendar.
- Doobie Brothers appear at the MontBleu Casino in Stateline Saturday July 26 at 9 p.m. Tickets are $88 and $99 at (800) 648-3353. You remember the Doobie Brothers, or course; hey have sold more than 50 million records.
- It's a triple play at John Ascuaga's Nugget in Sparks when The Alarm, the Fixx and the English Beat join up for night of rock and other hot music at 8 p.m. July 26 Saturday.
- Jim Gaffignan make look pretty average but his wit sparkles and he'll be displaying it at the Reno Ballroom, Fourth and Center streets Saturday July 26. Entry is $30 to $45 at 786-5700.
- Lyle Lovett brings his country twang to John Ascuaga's Nugget in Sparks Tuesday July 29 at 8 p.m. Lovett's always fun in his plain, unvarnished ways and you can catch his act for $79; call 356-3300.
Artown After Dark shows include:
- July 25 - Kate Cotter and Seth Horan
Singer songwriter Seth Horan slaps, taps and wows the crowd alongside Kate Cotter's unique, haunting voice and poetic lyrics. The acoustic blend of the two artists and their unique musical styles will leave the crowd wanting more.
Artown After Dark shows begin at 10 p.m. and are held in the Lord Fitzgerald's Room at the Fitzgerald's Hotel and Casino in downtown Reno. Each show is open to music fans of all ages and has a $5 cover charge. Visit www.RenoIsArtown.com or call 322-1538.
- The Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival is under way with "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and "Richard III" on the boards at Sand Harbor State Park, Highway 28. Plus a n new comedy "CAMBIO." CAMBIO plays Monday nights. Call (866) 327-4697 for show dates. Tickets are $19 to $72.
- Harrah's Reno offers free concerts on the Plaza with Buddy Emmer Friday July 25, Eddie Palmieri Saturday July 26, Rebekah Chase Friday Aug. 1 and Like a Rock Saturday Aug. 2. Shows begin at 8 p.m. and are free.
- James Taylor and his guitar are at Harveys Lake Tahoe outdoor Concert Series July 26. He appears at 7 p.m. with tickets $49.50 to $79.50 at 786-8497. This is soft rock at its finest.
- Toby Keith on his biggest, baddest tour appears at Harveys Sunday July 28 at 7 p.m., with Montgomery Gentry, Carters Chord, Mica Roberts and Trailer Choir. Go for $67.50 to $125, call 786-8479.
- ARTOWN EVENTS
- Patrons 65 and older get a free pass to Artown's Nigerian Spam Scam Scam July 30 at 2 p.m. The show, held at the Nelson Building Laxalt Theater at 401 W. 2nd St. in downtown Reno, stars actor Dean Cameron who plays a man corresponding with an e-mail scammer while luring him into a nine-month relationship of sharing broken hearts, confusion, frustration and even colon complications.
For all the fun Cameron has, the two-man play also serves to open people's eyes to the Internet fraudsters who often get the last laugh. The U.S. Secret Service reportedly receives 100 calls a day from Americans who have been solicited or defrauded in such schemes. Cameron's "Spam Scam" is an entertaining education in the tenacity of con-artists who can steal thousands of dollars from unsuspecting victims, often times targeting older Americans.
Those 65 and older should contact Artown to reserve limited seating at 322-1538 or log on to www.RenoIsArtown.com.
- Friday, July 25, 8 to 10 p.m., $50 to $95 in the Reno Ballroom, 401 N. Center St. Tickets: (888) 288-1833 or http://www.downtownreno.com/calendar. Ringo and his 10th all-star band will bring peace and love on a 31-date summer tour. The 10th All Starr-studded ensemble will include returning All Stars (in alphabetical order): Colin Hay, Billy Squier, Hamish Stuart, Edgar Winter, and first timer Gary Wright and on drums, Gregg Bissonette.
- Bold energy. Arresting virtuosity. Captivating intensity. Your breath will be taken away as Artown presents one of the most innovative and exciting American dance troupes, Hubbard Street Dance Chicago. Known for its dynamic, artistic and unconventional repertoire, this phenomenal dance company inspires audiences to think, explore a range of emotions and have fun. Sponsored by Fitzgerald's Casino/Hotel Reno. Saturday, July 26, 8 to 10 p.m., tickets $25 to $49, Pioneer Center for the Performing Arts, 100 S. Virginia St. Tickets: 322-1538.
- Missoula Children's Theatre presents "The Little Mermaid." Deep in the salty waters of the Sassafras Sea, there lived a Little Mermaid. She and her three sisters were allowed one visit to the World Above, each on their 16th birthday, to learn the secrets of life on dry land. Missoula Children's Theatre and more than 50 local students will present "The Little Mermaid." The production is part of the Missoula Children's Theatre's unique international touring project. Saturday, July 26, 7:30 to 9: p.m., $10, Nightingale Concert Hall, Church Fine Arts, University of Nevada, Reno. Tickets: 322-1538
- Artists from the Reno-Tahoe area display their artwork each Friday night starting at 5 p.m. during Artown's Art Market. Alongside the Truckee River and the Riverwalk in downtown Reno, participating merchants exhibit local artists' creations showcasing a variety of mediums.
See www.RenoIsArtown.com or call 775-322-1538.
- Friday July 25: Nikki Beach's monthly Confidential Party. This month Nikki Beach will be putting on the hottest Superheroes and Villains Party to ever hit Reno. Come dressed as your favorite Superhero or Villain. Cash prizes will be given for the best costumes. As with all of the Confidential Parties you won't know what to expect until you get there. Plus a surprise --- Special Guest! Pearl Champagne Lounge brings you the classic sounds of DJ Neva. Nikki Beach doors open at 9 p.m. and Pearl doors open at 11 p.m.. Arrive Early! Ladies in free before 10 p.m.
- Saturday July 26 "Nikki Saturday brings you DJ Sid Vicious. One of LA's fastest up and coming DJs, he is best known for keeping the dance floor packed with his crowd- pleasing multi-genre music style, guaranteed to keep the crowd begging for more way past last call. Pearl Champagne Lounge brings you the legend of the seven seas DJ Sinbad. Nikki Beach doors open at 9 p.m and Pearl doors open at 11 p.m. Ladies in free before 10 p.m.
- Sunday July 27" Nikki Beach's world-renowned Sunday pool party, Amazing Sundays is a mixture of entertainment and relaxation rolled in to one fun-filled day. This Sunday Nikki Beach brings you the Go Big Project, a cutting edge, fast-paced traveling extreme sports short video production company, created by professional extreme sports athletes. Plus Organized Chaos and DJ Kos Gigafunk CD release tour. Party starts at 11 a.m .and goes until 8 p.m.
- Wednesdays and Thursdays at Pearl " Every Wednesday night from 7 to 9 p.m. is Comedy Night with Adam Stone & Friends, and every Thursday night from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. is Latin Night at Pearl Champagne Lounge. FREE COVER for both nights! Plus free salsa lessons by BB of Salsa Reno on Thursdays from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Visit www.salsareno.com.
To get on the guest list for FREE COVER for Friday's, Saturday's and/or Sunday's events go to http://nikkibeach.pkreative.com. You must sign up before 6 p.m. for Friday and Saturday events and by 6 p.m. on Saturday for Sunday events. Guest lists for both Friday and Saturday will be closing at 10:30 p.m. at Nikki Beach. FREE COVER into Pearl for all Nikki Beach guests.