• The Salvation Army, 661 Colorado St., has several holiday activities occurring at this time for which help is needed.
1. Angel Tree: Pick a tag off an angel trees and purchase a Christmas gift for a child in need. Tags are located at all Bank of Americas, Grandma Hatties, Dr. D'Ascoli's, Department of Education, the Firkin & Fox, Bank of the West, Nevada Appeal, City Hall, The Salvation Army Store, and more.
For general toy donations, you can drop toys off at any Angel Tree location or toy barrels at all Carson City fire stations and the Dick Campagni Capital Ford dealership.
2. Food Barrels: The Northern Nevada Children's Museum and Les Schwab Tires are collecting canned and dry food goods for Christmas food baskets. Canned vegetables, soups, fruit, chili, macaroni and cheese, pasta, rice, beans, cereal, etc., are needed.
3. Red Kettle Campaign: Volunteers are needed to ring a bell and man the red kettles outside local businesses. Agencies, social clubs, youth groups, families, etc. are encouraged to participate in our annual bell-ringers' challenge.
An award is given to the individual or group of volunteers who raise the most money in their kettle within the duration of the Christmas season.
4. Distribution Center: On Dec. 16 and17, volunteers are needed to help sort food and toys at the Christmas Warehouse in preparation for distribution to local families. On Dec. 21, volunteers are needed to assist parents picking out toys from the Christmas Warehouse, as well as volunteers to help carry food boxes and gifts to recipients vehicles.
For more information, call (775) 887-9120.
• Cookies with Santa: Adele's Restaurant and Once Upon a Party are hosting Cookies with Santa 12:30-2:30 p.m. Dec. 18. Enjoy hot cider and cookies while kids young and old can visit with Santa. Children are free and adults are $5.
Adults are asked to bring a gift to be donated to the Ron Wood Foundation. Help make Christmas merry for every child in our community.
Adele's Restaurant and Lounge is at 1112 N. Carson St. For more information, call (775) 882-3353.
• Carson City Toyota Scion: has been a drop off location for Toys for Tots for 30 years. This year if you drop off a new unwrapped toy, you can enter to win a $1,000 Visa card. Carson City Toyota will also pick up toys. For more information, call 882-8211 ask for Dana Whaley.
Carson City Toyota Scion has also started the $93 dollar club to help out F.I.S.H. and Northern Nevada Food Bank. Any donation will help - 93 nickels, 93 dimes, 93 dollars. If you need us to pick up your donation, call Danielle Diez at 882-8211.
Carson City Toyota Scion is helping F.I.S.H. again this year by being a dropoff location for non-perishable food items, with two locations at the dealership.
• Holiday Food, Coat and Cash Drive: Michael Hohl GM Superstore will be sponsoring the Children's Cabinet for the Holiday Food, Coat and Cash Drive through Dec. 20 at both locations, 2800 S. Carson St. and 2910 S. Carson St.
Donations of any non-perishable food item, new or gently used children's and teens coats and/or cash donations will be accepted.
Also, Michael Hohl GM Superstore will be offering 50 percent discounts on oil changes and $500 discounts on purchase of new or used vehicles with coat donations, and 20 percent off oil changes and $200 off auto purchases with any non-perishable food donations. Certain restrictions apply. Contact dealership for details at (775) 883-5777.
• Michael Hohl GM Superstore: will be holding a drive and drop 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Dec. 18. It will be hosted by KBUL Country Radio Station.
• "Friends to All" Senior Santa Visits: Santa and volunteers will visit seniors in their homes to deliver gifts. To make a monetary donation, make checks payable to Retired Senior Volunteer Program with a memo "Friends to All" and send it to Friends to All, c/o Fountainhead Associates, 312 W. Fourth St., Carson City, NV 89703. They can also use donations such as packaged food items, gift certificates, puzzle books, slipper socks, etc. For more information, call 884-0180.
• Angel Tree locations: The Carson Nugget and Danny's Ironwood Grill in Minden are collecting new, unwrapped gifts for more than 200 foster care children in Carson, Douglas, Lyon and Churchill counties.
Bring unwrapped gifts directly to the Carson Nugget and receive a $10 free-play coupon, or just drop your gift off at Danny's Ironwood Grill, 1776 Highway 395 North. For more information, call (775) 782-3313.
• DeBug Computer, Inc. is collecting canned goods for the Evelyn Mount Community Outreach Food Drive. Offices are at 729 N. Carson St. (775) 883-3630 and 1659 Highway 395 Suite C, Minden (775) 782-0303.
• The Carson City Host Lions are selling See's candy at the Carson Mall, Raley's and Costco. The proceeds provide eyeglasses and exams for Carson City youths and a scholarship for a Carson High student. At the Christmas party at Grandma Hatties on the Dec. 20, they will collect presents for the seniors at the Carson City Senior Center. For more information or to help, call Rick Jackson at (775) 885-9597.
• Sierra Surgery: The surgery center is raising money for Food for Thought and Angel Tree for all the Carson City elementary schools. Call Denise Howell at (775) 283-3765.
• The Carson City Library is a drop-off location for Toys for Tots, Food for Thought after-school nutrition program, and the Girl Scouts of America mitten tree. Please call the library at 887-2244 for details.
• Friends in Service Helping: Food donations for holiday meals are being accepted at the Carson City location 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Meal distribution will begin Dec. 20 out of the Mound House and Carson City stores. For more information, call 882-3474.
• Holiday with a Hero: Donations are still being sought to provide $100 gift cards to 150 of the city's neediest children. Representatives from the Carson City sheriff's, fire and other departments will escort the children on a shopping spree to Walmart. All cash donations can be dropped off or mailed to the Carson City Sheriff's Office, 911 E. Musser St., Carson City, 89701. Write "Holiday with a Hero" in the memo field. For more information or to also donate wrapping paper, tape or lunch, contact Detective Dena Lacy at 887-2020 ext. 41405 or Detective Daniel Gonzales at ext. 41407.
• Drop-off locations for Toys for Tots: Drop off new, unwrapped toys at the following Carson City locations: B'Sghetti's; Bella Fiore Wines; Capitol City Loans; Carson City Harley Davidson; CGI Manufacturing; Carson City Library; Carson High School; Carson Toyota; Carson Valley Inn; Children's Museum; Chili's; City National Bank; Carson Tahoe Regional Medical Center; Decades; Department of Transportation; Christmas Store; Eagle Valley Middle School; Casino Fandango; Coleman & Company Jewelers; Gold's Gym; Home Depot; Chromalloy; Jacks Valley School; Jenny Craig; Keva Juice; Lake Side Properties; Doctor Smash Designs; Les Schwab; Marines Recruiting Office; Massage Envy; Raleys in Douglas County; Rite Aide in Douglas County; Evergreen Gene's; Sierra Gifts; Nevada State Railroad Museum; NW Martial Arts; Red's Old 395; Snap On Tools; Timbers; Two Guys From Italy in Douglas County; United Blood Services; UPS; Walmart; WNC Child Care Center; Wild for Smiles.
• Michael Hohl Honda Subaru, 2910 S. Carson St., is participating in a food drive to benefit F.I.S.H (Friends in Service Helping) and the Food Bank of Carson City. Customers can receive $100 off market value per can of food donated, up to $500 on the purchase of a vehicle. For more information, call (775) 885-0400.
• Casino Fandango, 3800 S. Carson St., is a drop-off location for Toys for Tots and Denim Drive. Toys for Tots is accepting new, unwrapped toys for girls and boys. The Denim Drive is accepting new denim, socks and underwear for infants, children and teens. For more information, contact Charlene (Denim Drive) at (775) 886-1677 or Karen (Toys for Tots) at (775)) 886-1652.
• Freeman & Williams, LLP: The office is collecting and donating to the Toys for Tots program. Donations can be made at the office, 3470 GS Richards Boulevard or by calling Lucinda at 882-3201.