Wave nabs big 4 points

Fallon midfielder Omar Madera looks to pass during the Wave's scoreless tie against Spring Creek on Saturday.

Fallon midfielder Omar Madera looks to pass during the Wave's scoreless tie against Spring Creek on Saturday.

Rain, rivals and four points.

The Fallon boys soccer team dropped rival Elko, 1-0, on Friday and followed up with a scoreless tie during a downpour on Saturday against Spring Creek in a pair of Northern Division I-A matches.

“Our most important game is always our next game,” Fallon coach Nate Waite said. “It was a nice weekend and now we’ll look forward.”

The slick pitch, though, kept the ball just a step ahead as the Spring Creek and Fallon boys soccer teams ended in a scoreless tie on Saturday.

In a battle of midfields, each team had limited scoring opportunities as the quick pace of the field aided the defenses and frustrated the offenses.

The muddy and slippery field provided little traction for the clubs as several chunks of grass went flying as the players attempted to change direction.

“Both teams were playing in the same situation,” Waite said. “I felt like we had more chances.”

The Greenwave created the first chance when Mario Ugalde fed a pass to Corbin Waite, but the shot just missed wide of the net.

Spring Creek, though, countered with a chance of its own after Fallon defender Miguel Saenzpardo misplayed the ball and it found the Spartans’ William Church. Church’s shot, though, was saved by goalkeeper Miguel Perez.

Fallon answered with a pair of shots as Fidel Enriquez’s left-footed attempt was corralled by Spring Creek goalkeeper Taylor Whitfield. Waite then hit a blast form 30 yards out, which just slid over the crossbar.

Fallon turned up its pressure as Waite earned a pair of free kicks, but was stoned by Whitfield and sent the other high.

In the 60th minute, Waite sent a cross to Tristan Parrott, but the header sliced wide.

But Fallon’s best chance came several minutes later. Ugalde hit a free kick from about 30 yards out that rattled off the crossbar and Enriquez’s flick was denied once again by Whitfield.

“We had a lot of chances and probably outshot them 3:1,” Fallon coach Nate Waite said. “I felt like we had quality chances. Spring Creek did hustle a lot and was able to clear it out.”

Against Elko, the Wave notched their goal when Austin Bischoff delivered a corner kick into the goalbox and Fidel Enriquez split two defenders and headed home his second-game winning goal in as many matches.

“That match was back and forth, two quality sides working for the goal,” Fallon coach Nate Waite said. “Fidel did have a great individual play and Austin put the ball where it needed to be. Both sides had opportunities and I was grateful to get three points (the win).”

Elko’s offense was held in check most of the second half and nearly tied the match when Giovanni Vilalpando fired a shot on net, but Miguel Perez made the save.

“We lost one mark at the wrong time and they put the ball in the goal,” Elko coach Jim Nisbet added.

Elko’s best chance, though, came on a first-half corner kick. Marcus Manuel sent a beautiful bending ball into the box, missing the Fallon defenders. Unfortunatley for the Indians, no attacker was able to get a boot or head on the ball and it rolled harmlessly out of bounds.

After the goal, Bischoff again found Enriquez on a cross, but the goalscorer could not connect on the volley.

In the 54th minute, Parrott unloaded a blast from about 12 yards out, but Sandoval made a fantastic one-handed diving save to keep the Indians within one.

Lady Wave swept on road

The Fallon girls soccer team was swept at Elko and Spring Creek on Friday and Saturday.

Fallon fell 3-0 to Elko and 2-1 to Spring Creek. No additional information was reported.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment