I woke up last week with nouns on my mind – no kidding! Is that weird, or what? Seriously, I began thinking of nouns in the Bible that describe God.
After my morning devotions, I googled my question. Well, I found several lists of words that describe God but not necessarily Bible words and not just nouns. Thus, I began a search and found the following verses in Psalm 18.
I love you, O’ Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my high tower.
• God is my strength. I am reminded daily of my weakness.
• God is my rock! As rock, he is my foundation – my stability. Sometimes, he is described as a rock that I can securely stand on above and out of the reach of my enemies.
• God is my fortress – a secure and protected place.
• God is my deliverer – from sin, temptation, anxiety, etc.
• God is the horn of my salvation – an image of a bull lifting up its horns after a victory in battle.
• God is my refuge and place of safety.
• God is my shield! A shield is used in battle to ward off arrows from the enemy. A shield protects and sometimes even hides. It’s wonderful and amazing to think of God’s very presence shielding and protecting us from harm!
• God is my high tower – in fearful and scary times, safety to those who run to him.
After two verses of outstanding nouns describing God, let’s just praise him.
O’ Lord, thank you for being our shield of protection, our rock of stability, our very strength, our fortress of security, our deliverer, our high tower of safety, our shelter of refuge and the horn of our victory. Help us always to cling to you and praise you for all that you are! Amen.
Bruce Henderson is the minister of Airport Road Church of Christ in Carson City.
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Sign in to comment