Fallon, Truckee battle to tie

Fallon defender Sam Burton settles the ball during the Lady Wave's 0-0 tie against Truckee on Friday.

Fallon defender Sam Burton settles the ball during the Lady Wave's 0-0 tie against Truckee on Friday.

In an attempt to earn separation, none was to be had.

The Fallon and Truckee girls soccer teams battled to a scoreless tie Friday at the Edward Arciniega Complex. Both entered tied for second in the Northern Division I-A, but the only club to receive some breathing room was first place South Tahoe, who drilled Sparks, 6-0, over the weekend.

The Lady Wave and Truckee remained tied, both with 6-1-1 league records for 19 points. The Vikings, meanwhile, improve to 7-0-1, 22.

“The first 40 minutes, I think we played our game,” Fallon coach Kelly Spicer said. “In the second half, I think we went back to some old bad habits.”

On the pitch, Fallon and Truckee were mirror images of each other for 70 minutes. Late in the second half, the Wolverines’ offense found their legs, but could not crack Lady Wave goalkeeper Erin Nelson.

Truckee’s netminder, Paulina Thrasher, was equally impressive holding a clean sheet, thwarting numerous close-range shots and receiving assistance from the goal posts.

“For the most part, we maintained possession but couldn’t close,” Truckee coach Katie Jamison said.

Early in the first half, Fallon sophomore Rebecca Mills found speedster Maddie Algere for a scoring chance, but Thrasher was up to the task. Mills nearly scored about 3 minutes later, but her shot rang off the crossbar.

Mills and Alegre hooked up again with 13 minutes left in the half, but Algere’s shot was straight on net and Thrasher gobbled up the ball.

Truckee, meanwhile, was playing its fourth match in five days, but dug deep and started to pour on the scoring chances in the final 15 minutes of the second half.

Kaylee Neill was fouled just outside the goal box, but the ensuing free kick sailed high over the net.

Marcelle Reynaud had a pair of chances, although she also hit a free kick from 20 yards out over the bar, and her second chance — with a hard spin on the ball — found the arms of Nelson.

The Wolverines’ final chance came from a shot on goal by Emma Warren, but was plucked by Nelson.

Fallon had one last chance with 3 minutes remaining on a free kick. Monica Mills’ attempt, though, fluttered high and wide to preserve the tie.

“I think the last 10 minutes we won it, because our girls didn’t want to lose,” Spicer said. “I’m happy, they played hard.

Truckee’s defense was solid all game, as the backline duo of Sarah Svoboda and Maison Power were able to neutralize Alegre’s speed.

The Lady Wave’s defense, meanwhile, consistently cluttered passing lanes and held the Wolverines’ chances to a minimum.

“Their defense was solid,” Spicer said. “A lot of our through balls weren’t getting through because they have tall girls with long legs back there.”


Truckee freshman Manuel Sarabia scored two goals in the boys’ win, the first of which came in the 19th minute off an assist from Thomas Arnstein.

Suriel Lopez scored Truckee’s second goal five minutes into the second half, assisted by Nathan Ariza, to extend the Wolverines’ lead to 2-0.

Fallon got on the board with a goal by Corbin Waite in the 65th minute. Truckee got it back shortly after, however, as Sarabia scored again in the 67th minute.

Truckee coach Casey Eberhardt pointed out that the boys have yet to lose on their home field since 2010.

Sierra Sun sports editor Sylas Wrigh contributed to this report.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment