Churchill County High School junior Rolland Grondin, right, will compete in the 21-fight card during Friday’s Night of Fights at the Rafter 3C Arena.
Photo by Thomas Ranson.
Continuing a long fundraising tradition, the Greenwave Takedown Club’s Night of Fights has a new home.
For the first time, the Night of Fights will open its doors at the Rafter 3C Arena, allowing more fans to pack the arena to watch more than 40 high schoolers box one another in the Greenwave wrestling program’s annual fundraiser.
Doors open Friday at 6 p.m. and fights will kick at 7 p.m. General admission is $10 and preferred seating is $25. Tickets are purchased off at the door and not in advance.
“I couldn’t be more excited about this year. We are in a new venue and it’s going to be bigger and better,” Fallon wrestling coach Trevor deBraga said.
In previous years, the event has been held most recently at the city-county gym but the new arena is already starting to affect this year’s event. DeBraga said they sold 42 more VIP tables for this year’s Night of Fights due to the extra space.
Forty-three boxers will compete in a fight card tallying 21 bouts, including a three-way girls battle. Last year’s Night of Fights had 12 bouts after it came back from a two-year hiatus due to the pandemic.
“The talent is crazy good and I’ve had close to 60 different kids attend,” deBraga said. “We are hoping to raise a bunch more money so we can do more out-of-state traveling during wrestling season as well as postseason tournaments such as nationals back in Virginia Beach.”
Additionally, deBraga said his program needs new wrestling mats and better team gear for next season.
“We hope to pack the house and put on a great show,” he said. “I’m excited to bring this event to the new Rafter 3C Arena and want to thank the county and city for their contributions in making this possible.”
This year’s announcer is Jared Dooley and the referee is Hall of Famer Bert Serrano. The judges are Russ Allyn, Lester deBraga, Josh Mauga and Ryan McCormick. Coaching in the blue corner are Trevor deBraga and Tyler Diaz and in the red corner are Dan Shaw and Darren Lewis.
• Macray O'Neill vs. Connor Johnson
• Oscar Ventura vs. Yahir Ugalde
• Jaycer Downs vs. Cyprus Yungk
• Everdmar Garcia vs. Rafe Brown
• Carlos Valenzuela vs. Ryan Judd
• Sean Reeder vs. Arron Ledezma
• Dorien Warstler vs. Grayson Openshaw
• Benito Cortez vs. Baylor Sandburg
• Bailey Thompson vs. Kacin Rogne
• Manuel Rangel vs. Jeramiah Prinz
• Joseph Romero vs. Kade Morales
• Troy Shelton vs. Rolland Grondin
• Anthony Mccartney vs. Hugo Tapia
• De'onte Wallace vs. Andre Green
• Isiah Diaz vs. Manny Karaway
• Sofia Basurto vs. Darci Owens
• Lupe Lopez vs. Rigo Galeno
• Edwin Ugalde vs. Francisco Cortez
• 3-way: Kambrie Thorn, Mattea Cortez and Issis Vann
• Semi-main event: Jaiden McFadden vs. Colin Homer
• Main event: Dustan Drinkut vs. Jose Ruiz